Not fudged exactly, because I was actually on precisely the right track, I just forgot. (It's the way my brain rolls these days - the subconscious doggedly getting on with things, while the conscious bit bumps around fretfully, wondering if this interminable headache will ever subside long enough to pursue a coherent train of thought.) After some consideration, I opted to add a completely new design feature all around the edge of the hat... and I think it looks great and fits exactly as I had hoped.
One great possibility of earflap hats is the ability to create a sort of cocoon around the head and cheeks without relying on elastic tension across the ears and forehead (the source of so many complaints of "itch") to keep it in place. This is best accomplished by having zero to slightly positive ease in the initial iteration of the brim, then reducing the number of stitches a bit when knitting the all-around border.
It could have used a bit of blocking to straighten out the garter stitch cross on the crown, but the necessary work surface was covered in gingerbread cookies and pots of icing, so it will have to wait.
I did take careful notes as I knit, except for the border, which I was rather winging as I went along, but since the girl child has ordered an identical hat in pink, I'll take notes on the border next time with an eye to publishing the design.
Yarn: Merino /Cashmere / Nylon in worsted weight - most of a 110 gm skein in Blueberry Skies. Every bit as lovely as you'd expect, and coming to the webstore as soon as I get the new category page sorted and a little more selection dyed up.